Thursday, October 19, 2006

Of Goats and Votes

I'm the kind of person who shows up to a bible study group with a bible. Just how it goes sometimes. So last night as I scanned the bookshelves in the BSU lounge for a bible to use I happened to stumble across several interesting pieces of literature. The international students' bible was amusing, as were several student themed versions that seemed as interested in looking "extreme" as they did in conveying the word of God. But the choicest find was also the unlikliest.
It's called Forty Acres and a Goat. Mr. Will Campbell (who, we are informed on the cover, is also the author of Brother to a Dragonfly) apparantly has some interesting memoirs. And though I have absolutely no time to read this crowning literary achievementI still found myself compelled to theft it temporarily just to see what treasures might be found inside. Thus far I have only found time for the first three words, but they certainly did not disappoint, "His uncle Coot..." Anyone with information on this classic literature should certainly feel free to contact me: I've just got to know.
On a completely unrelated note, I got my absentee ballot in the mail yesterday. Now I'm not exactly the world's biggest proponent of representative democracy (much to my father's chagrin), but even I feel obligated to fill the stupid thing out. But I really have no idea who most of the people on the ballot are and I can't help but feel I'm being irresponsible. I know Tim Matthews, but he's running unopposed. I think Pam Marion is the current Clerk of Court, but I don't really know what duties that position entails and I don't know if she's doing a good job or not and I certainly don't know if her opponent could do a better job. Come to think of it, the only vote I can cast with conviction is not for a candidate but rather against Virginia Foxx. So what should I do? I suppose the responsible thing to do would be to become informed on the issues that affect our county (just imagine how many hot-button topics there must be pertaining to the office of Sheriff of Surry County), but that's just not going to happen. So perhaps the only responsible thing to do is to just not vote. Please feel free to give me your thoughts on this as well.
One last note: Kevin and Lynette of South Africa are on their way soon and I am ultra-super pumped. Please pray for safe journeys and joyous reunions. I certainly can't wait.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

You know, I don't think Forty Acres and A Goat is in the BYU-Idaho school library. Actually, in the 98% mormon town of Rexburg, ID, my gut tells me the book might be hard to find out here.

As far as voting, I have cast aside democracy in pursuit of a much higher cause...laziness and procrastination. Also, I don't live in NC right now, so I doubt the elected representitives will do much that effects me.

3:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home