Sunday, October 08, 2006

Choke

As I stood in the rain in Groves Stadium today and watched Wake Forest prepare to assume a 17 point lead, I felt a familiar feeling: as my friends high-fived and celebrated my stomach began to tighten and I suddenly felt overwhelmingly nervous. "Yes," I thought, "I've seen this movie before and I know exactly how it ends."
Eight minutes later Wake Forest was trailing by 7. By the time the clock ran out, wake had turned a sure 17 point lead into an impressive 10 point defeat. After winning 17-3 over the course of 45 minutes, we somehow managed to lose the final 15 by a count of 24-0. I'm told my face betrayed the knowledge of impending doom long before the final buzzer sounded.
For the first time, I felt like a Wake Forest student today. I'm back in familiar territory. It's good to be home?

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

wake forest dissapoints again....for a brief second i thought that amazing 5-0 start would turn into an undefeated season....then i woke up.

I'm jealous of you getting to go to the Wake Forest sporting stuff...I still strut my WF gear around campus...which makes me feel out of place surrouned by BYU-Idaho t-shirts

8:52 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well at least you beat NC State today.

5:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home