Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Please Forgive Me

Sam arranged a song by David Gray called Please Forgive Me for Chi Rho to sing and we started practicing it last night. Though my part is painfully simple and repitive, the arrangement as a whole is excellent and I can't wait to start performing it. We started off learning the song by sitting in the dark and listening to original with the lyrics on the blackboard (there was enough ambient light to read, in case you're wondering). I thought I'd reproduce the lyrics here:

Please forgive me if I act a little strange
for I know not what I do
feels like lightening running through my veins
every time I look at you

Help me out here, all my words are falling short
there's just so much I want to say
wanna tell you just how good it feels
when you look at me that way

throw a stone and watch the ripples flow
movin out across the bay
like a stone i fall into your eyes
deep into that mystery

I got half a mind to scream out loud
I got half a mind to die
so I won't ever have to lose you
won't ever have to say goodbye
I won't ever have to lie
Won't ever have to say goodbye

Sam talked a lot last night about the way in which Christians often express their love for God in a romantic sense, and this is appropriate. But what struck me was his interpretation of this song as being a love song from God to us. He talked about how imperfect our love is, how we can't truthfully say we always feel like we have lightning in our veins everytime we contemplate God, but that God can and does feel that way about us. The last verse especially takes on an interesting meaning if you look at it from that perspective.
That's all for today, just thought I'd share what's been on my mind.

Oh, by the way: it's now day four and counting of having my butt on display on wake's website. Let's keep this party going!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's beautiful! I can't wait to hear you sing it! Tell the guys I said hello!

11:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home