Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Why I read the BBC

I don't usually catch the morning, evening, or late night news. The reasons for this are many and a few of them are actually legitimate, but the important thing to know is that in order to keep up with what's going on in the world I have to look to alternative sources for news. One source is the 11 o'clock hour on comedy central, which I view with a passion only slightly short of religious zeal, but even I recognize that certain stories can slip through the cracks of two half-hour comedy shows (and no, Lewis Black cannot catch them all). So I occasionally check out the BBC news online.
Why the BBC? Well, there are several advantages. First there's the spelling (I just love the look of programme and colour). Then there's the certain smug sense of superiority that comes from being around British accents, even in print. But most importantly, I go to the BBC because the English are just funny.
Today's news has been especially rewarding. If you look at the front page, you'll be sure to see all kinds of things. Sure, you'll have your regular stories about Afghanistan and the like. But on closer inspection, you might find a real jewel, like this story about Columbian girlfriends on a sex strike. Wander farther into the sight and you'll find a wonderful argument on the darkside of communism.
And then there's the sports coverage. Where else can you go for top-notch reporting on cricket, disability sports (yes, as is special olympics), something called "athletics" (whatever that means), rugby, something called "bowls", darts, "netball", or an entire site devoted to snooker? And the reporting is out of this world. Here are a few headlines from today's sports pages:
"Kong in hot water after crash"
"Flintoff pick surprises Pointing"
"Boon backs Broad's England future"
"Dogged Durham defy the Red Rose"
"Defiant White keeps Notts at bay"
And the kicker: "Warne in the wars against Worcs"
I love the BBC and will continue to read their adorable take on the world. Why? Because it makes me feel smart to say I bring up a story I read on the BBC in conversation, and it makes me feel superior to be able to say "I don't get my news from those trite mainstream american stations. Only the best for me, right-o chap?"
Now if only I could say that while listening to modern jazz on my iPod and drinking a mocha...I'd be a true college student indeed.

2 Comments:

Blogger Megan said...

You're one in a million Ryan. Oh how you amaze me:-P

12:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

one other thing about using the bbc is you can say things like: bloddy hell and shagin wanker and no one will really know you shouldn't, eh!?!

your raquetball pardner.
cherrie-o

1:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home