Monday, April 10, 2006

Day 11

For those of you that don't know, I'm now on Day 11 of an 18-Day odyssey of epic proportions. Thanks to teacher workdays on March 31st and April 17th, a week of spring break and three days in NYC on a school trip, I have been given an 18-day window in which I am required to attend school only twice. Life is good, my friends.
I put in my two school days last week, so now all that's left is a solid week of me time. Plans abound as to what to do with all this time, I'll elaborate on those in another post perhaps.
For now I shall just enjoy the sleep and relaxation, though I've had consiberably less TV time than I thought I'd have. Oh well.
On a side note, I had lunch today with Aho and Kellan and Jamie Dowell. It was fun to see my friends and talk a little bit and eat at Snappy Lunch for the first time in a long while. The combination of today's lunch, last night's youth activities, and reading William Faulkner has got me on a kick. I've been thinking a lot recently about the idea of community, about circles of friends and acquaintences and whether or not we have the same sense of community our parents did. At GSE we talked about communitarianism and I was rather skeptical, but the closer I get to graduation the more I begin to value the collective "We." I've always viewed groups as collections of individuals, and I still think the concept of society is overblown, but I'm beginning to see what my teacher, Andy, values in his community. This is a rather random musing to take place during spring break, but I suppose that's what happens when I stop thinking about calculus. If you have a thought, feel free to share.
Day 11 is in the books. Day 12 is looking to be a good one, with tennis in Winston and a golden retreiver lingering in the wings. Should be fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home