Thursday, February 23, 2006

Rejection

I got a letter from Wake Forest's Merit Based Scholarships division today. It took them two and a half paragraphs, but eventually they gave me the, "We regret to inform you that..." line. I didn't feel the need to read the rest.
So it's my first official rejection. It was only the Presidential Scholarship (based on talent in a specific area, mine being writing for publication), which I harbored no illusion I'd win anyway, but it's still no fun to be told you're not good enough. And it's not going to be the last rejection. I haven't heard from the Robertson people at Carolina (they forsake the courtesy of even the simple rejection letter) and my Poteat interview was less than outstanding.
And my forehand is keeping me from winning tennis matches. Dang.
So I hope you'll forgive me for barking when someone speaks as if I've already gotten the Morehead. Welker does it just to piss me off, but other people just don't know any better. The Mount Airy News ran an article about me being in the finals last Sunday (right underneath a picture of two mules) and ever since people have been telling me how proud they are that I won. And that is not a good thing. Allow me to explain.
There are 129 people left in the Morehead competition. Of those, 69 are from NC and the rest hail from locations as remote as New York, California, and Scotland. Let me repeat: some dude is flying to Chapel Hill from the land of Braveheart, probably with longsword in hand, to personally take me to task. The competition is intense and there are only about 45 scholarships total. Right now, 129 sets of family and friends are talking about how happy they are for their "Morehead Scholars". Considerably more than half of them will get a serious reality check.
I've got a lot on my mind; please, please don't add worry over being jinxed to the mix.
And it'll be fine. I'm not worried about winning or not winning (well, maybe a little), because, as a general rule, I have no idea what's best for me. Either way this (and all my other interviews) goes I'm gonna be fine.
So I'm asking for your prayers; not that I'll get the scholarship, but that God's will will prevail (I know the construction in that last sentence was bad, but I can't resist the oppurtunity to say "will will"). Because I can handle the rejection (though I offer no promises that I'll handle it in a particularly manly fashion) but I can't handle the disappointment of the approximately 3 million people who are "expecting great things" of me right now. Reading a letter from Wake Forest about a scholarship I didn't even care about was hard enough.

1 Comments:

Blogger natalie said...

scholarship is a big help for you. But things happen for the reason and you really did a great effort for it. think positive it wasn't for you still then it would be better to accept the fact to make you a better person. Remember, things happen for a reason. best limousine in Charleston

4:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home