Saturday, February 11, 2006

R-O-L-A-I-D-S

...may spell relief, but W-A-K-E F-O-R-E-S-T F-A-N spells relieved.
We beat UNC Charlotte today, snapping a six-game losing streak and handing the forty-niners a "bad loss" that may well cripple their NCAA tournament hopes. Good to be the spoiler for a change. I'm pumped.
But wait a second, since when is beating Charlotte, Charlotte, by three at home a major victory? Weren't we the number one team in the country for a (very brief) time last year? What has gone so horribly, horribly wrong here?
I wrote a post called "Hope" a while back explaining why I can't detach myself from these situations. In the post I said that I can't help but hope for the best; maybe this year will be different.
And I was right; this year is differnt. REALLY different. Wake is 1-9 in the ACC, 13-11 overall, and not even a bubble team. Wake hasn't had a losing season since 1990. At the time I was two, so I don't remember anything about it. This means that this year could be the first in my sports-fan-lifetime without a basketball postseason.
And that has me wondering. I've survived almost two decades of tournaments as a Wake fan. Excluding the one NIT win, I've always had a season-ending loss to the season. I'm used to it; I have an annual ritual that helps keep me grounded. But this year there may be no colossal meltdown accompanied by that sickening stomach feeling. No week or so of pain and self-doubt. No identifying myself as a failure by association. No whimsical filling out of NCAA brackets with Wake in the final four only to have them (and my chances of winning the family pool) get washed out in the second round. None of that.
What kind of effect will this have on my already fragile psyche? Lacking my ritualized self-torture, will I be crushed of uplifted? Piled on top of college uncertainty and the fact that this month is february (I'll explain that one later), this lack of crushing disappointment may be too much for me. I fear I may succumb to the emptiness. On the other hand, I might, I dunno, invent something cool. It could go either way, really.
The guy in Robin Hood: Men in Tights said, "Tonight we're going to have a wedding, or a hanging. Either way, we all get to have a lot of fun, eh?" Stay tuned to see how this all turns out for me. Either way, it should be entertaining to watch.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home