Monday, March 06, 2006

Notes from the Inside

I tend to forget things very quickly, so I thought I'd share a few notes on my weekend in the enemy's territory.
This is a big university, but that doesn't mean it's not a small world. So far, I've run into Mackenzie Sumner (at a baseball game) and Bo Caudle (in a class); neither of them has noticed me and I never felt the need to say hello. I did, however, tell the people around them little tidbits about thier lives in Mount Airy, just in case they ever wanted to play mind games or something.
Carolina has, by far, the best cafeteria food of any institution I've ever been to. This is helpful, because they've treated us to many high class, fancy schmancy dinners and banquets this weekend and I've needed a little grease to keep my stomach in place.
It's no fun watching a game with people who are too into it. My personal issues with UNC aside, watching the Duke/Carolina game was annoying because the students were so loud I couldn't hear the commentary and jumped up and high-fived each other after every, EVERY UNC basket. I couldn't even see half the time. After the game ended, I reluctantly joined my colleagues on Franklin Street. I saw people climbing on poles, a huge bonfire (as well as five or six just regular-sized fires), but the most distinctive sight was a circle of people playing African drums. The party wasn't too much to my taste, but my roomate stayed out until three in the morning (in fact, I met him for the first time as he came in from that celebration.)
I went to University Baptist Church (I passed on Aunt Anne's beloved Binkley out of neccesity) yesterday. The service was interesting; their pastor also rushed Franklin Street the night before and was by no means an orthodox preacher. Their pastor was a member of the Morehead selection comittee for eight years or so, which makes me wonder about some of the people on who still are involved.
Two days of gorgeous weather ended this morning, and I awoke on the day of my interviews to find a dreary, rainy day. Despite the bad omens and such, the interviews went well (I think; I hope.)
I met up with Andy Pennock, a teacher from GSE, after lunch today and spent about an hour with him. It's good to catch up with friends, even if you don't really have much to talk about. He set me up with a friend (who was a guest speaker at GSE) who was teaching a class entitled Religion and Sociology. I enjoyed the class; the 32 page reading assignment was less entertaining.
That's all for now. I'll probably drop a few more notes after dinner tonight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home