Monday, October 24, 2005

A Salute to a True American Hero

I'm watching game two of the World Series right now, and I thought I'd take this oppurtunity to say a few words about my childhood idol: Joe Buck.
Joe is Fox' showcase announcer. He does NFL games every week, and covers all the big events such as, well, the World Series. Usually being associated with Fox in any capacity is enough to qualify a person for eternal punishment in Hades, but Joe has managed to evade that fate through his excellence.
What makes the man so great is his delivery. Just as the lead singer from Creed sounds exactly how a rock singer should, so Joe's debonair timbre characterizes the quintessential sportscaster. Other announcers soil their deliveries with undue emotion and excitement, but not ole Joe. The man cannot be fazed. ESPN's Bill Simmons says that someone should get Joe a cup of coffee, but he misses the point. I don't need the commentators to let me know when I should get excited, I'll figure that out by watching the game. Joe also refuses to ruin a game by adding small talk with his brothers in the booth. Again, I watch a game because I care what's happening on the field, not so I can hear about how terrible the food was at dinner last night.
I've pretty much given up my dream of being a sportscaster someday (turns out my voice sucks), but I still admire and look up to Mr. Buck. If only he could give some lessons to the commenators who do MA's football games, I could die happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home