Thursday, October 20, 2005

Words to use

I tried Arby's new French Dip the other day. My version came with swiss cheese. Their sign said "ooh la la", and I must admit it was, by all accounts, exceptional, though the au jus was a bit of a disappointment. What the hell is au jus anyway? What does it mean? If du jour means "of the day", does au jus mean "to the day", and therefore signify day-old cow juice? The point is, it's nasty, but the French Dip sandwich was delicious, even if theoretically I should have called it a freedom dip.
The other thing I should point out is that, in a single essay in English, I managed to employ the words pejorative, dichotomy, and the phrase, "in the parlance of our times." I know this doesn't mean anything to anyone other than me, but I still think it's worthy of remembrance. For those of you unfamiliar with the phrase, "in the parlance of our times," I would suggest an immediate viewing of The Big Lebowski, though not if there are kids around. The movie is, in the parlance of our times, pretty funny, and though Crystal would probably lable it "lame" I still recommend it.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

just to clarify, it is spelled au jus, which would make it some kind of 'juice'. just fyi.

11:39 AM  
Blogger Aho said...

i bet your use of the lebowsik phrase really pulled the essay together

5:16 PM  
Blogger Aho said...

sorry, lebowski

5:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Au jus" means "in its own juices" and ususally refers to meat cooked "au jus." I don't know when we picked up the habit of calling the juice itself "au jus," but hey, Americans like to use foreign words and phrases to suit their own purposes.

4:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home