Saturday, December 17, 2005

A Note From Math Rob

I got a Christmas card in the mail today from Ann Arbor, Michigan. Mom had no idea who would send me such a thing, but I knew instantly.
Math Rob was my Area III teacher at GSE this summer. His real name is Rob Houck, but everyone calls him Math Rob because math is what he does; he told us he considers it a great compliment to have math associated with one's name. I met some interesting folks that summer, but he was by far the most peculiar individual I've ever come across. He's shy, insecure beyond imagination, goofy, corny, and uncertain about what to do with his life. He's also really, really cool if you get to know him.
Rob keeps a journal in which he writes whatever is on his mind on any given day. At the end of GSE, he left the journal where his students could find it for a week or so. We all found the journal and left little notes for him in it. I can't remember for the life of me what I said, but I do remember that I wrote it with a purple pen.
So I got a card from Rob today, and I've been smiling ever since. He wrote inside the card that he had read my message, enjoyed it, and mentioned that he is now one dissertation away from a PhD. This is a big deal because, when we left GSE, he wasn't sure whether or not he was going to continue his education. His brother died in Iraq last year, his parents want him to go into the Ministry, and Rob is not good at standing up for what he wants. I still remember the day in class when he mentioned that it was the anniversary of his brother's death and that he wasn't sure if he would be back next year. Apparantly he put his foot down; I'm really proud.
The world needs more people like Math Rob. Sure he's goofy, sure he's a little (well, maybe a lot) weird, but you know from meeting him that he cares about you. People like Rob need our prayers and our support. If you have your own Math Rob, write him/her and tell them that you remember them. It will mean more than you know.
So if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go write a letter to Michigan.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow Ryan. I'm so touched.

1st of all... that purple pen that you wrote his message with, I do believe that was the one I handed you... ;) hehe.

I agree with everything you said about Rob. Instead of having 2 or 3 times a week... I had him 5 times a week. At first, I didn't like him. I thought he was weird, and I thought I was going to dread his class (he was my research group's adviser.) However, as the weeks went on... I really started to like him. Like you said, he is a great and amazing person. I received a Christmas card from him too, and it made me so happy. I was so upset when I heard that he wasn't going to be at GSE next year... does that mean he's changed his mind? I hope so, I'd love to go back on Alumni Day and see him. Do you remember whenever you gave him your balloon I gave you on your birthday. That was really sweet of you, and I'm really glad that you did that. Without the help of Rob, our group would've never been as successful as we were and I never would've been able to do and figure out some of the stuff regarding my topic.

Rob is an amazingly intelligent person. He is so smart but yet modest. Everytime he introduces himself to a group of people, he talks about his favorite quote. "Treat everyone you meet as if they were one of the ten most amazing people you've ever met." For the duration of my lifetime, I'm going to have to say that he is one of the ten most amazing people I've met in my life.

I know I'll be writing him a letter as a reply as well =]

Love ya! ~~May

7:57 PM  
Blogger Benjamin said...

I came upon your blog because I was trying to find Math Rob's e-mail by searching his name on Google. I had him for my research advisor too; I researched Finite State Automata. I always enjoyed listening to him, because he always said things in a humorous way, in a way anyone could understand. Do you know what his e-mail is? I'd like to keep in touch with him. I'm sorry to hear that about his brother...I'll be keeping him in my prayers.

8:14 PM  
Blogger Benjamin said...

oh, and by the way, if you find his email, just send it to me at ---bcrudolph1@catamount.wcu.edu---

Thanks...

8:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home