Monday, November 14, 2005

Swimming

So I just got back from my first swim meet of the season and I thought I'd share a few thoughts.
1) Our pool sucks:
It's amazing. Hot, smelly, sandy at the bottom (no word yet on why) and located in the loudest room I've ever been in. We're hosting the conference meet this year; Lord help us.
2) I am freaking slow:
I've always known this, but it kinda hit home tonight. I swam the 500 freestyle only twice last year, never by choice, and I just assumed that, given practice, I'd excel at it. I certainly thought I could beat Gordon, but low and behold he topped me by 14 seconds. He also beat me at the 50 freestyle (an event I was put in by mistake), though by a much, much smaller margin.
3) But not THAT slow:
I'm really getting better, I think. My times are about where they were at the end of last season, which means similar improvement over the course of the season should make me competitive. I have to admit, I got my competitive juices flowing tonight. Too bad most of these were wasted because.....
4) North Surry is a disgrace to humanity:
In almost all capacities, but especially so in swimming. It took about six events for a single NS swimmer to finish ahead of a single MA swimmer, often with about four MA swimmers in each heat. They had three or four people quit mid-race: just up and stopped swimming. They also had issues keeping their caps on. I think I belong on NS's team; I'd be competitive over there.
That's it for now, I've gotta do a coupla other things. Stay tuned for more commentary on a sport which, really, is the single most boring activity to talk about ever.
It's still fun to do, though.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Berlin Philharmonic Stockhausen blog exclusive
I recently wrote about director Thomas Grube's highly acclaimed new film 'Rhythm Is It!' which is winning much needed new audiences for classical music with its highly seductive mix of the Berlin Philharmonic, ...
Find out how to buy and sell anything, like things related to quality assurance highway construction on interest free credit and pay back whenever you want! Exchange FREE ads on any topic, like quality assurance highway construction!

9:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Come on now Ryan...you must give yourself and swimming more credit than that. I mean, how can you possibly find boredom/monotony in a sport that requires full attention or else you'll drown? I don't know what you've been told, but swimming slowly is actually better. It ensures that you're still alive after a race and that you've at least burned off that one potato chip you ate before getting in the pool. I find I never gain more than 10 pounds during swimming season!! The point is that swimming is an excellent way to lose hair by use of a swim cap and to become pruny (sp.?). Ah, and who can forget that it looks good on college applications? I enjoyed this entry. We'll have to speak more about it soon!

3:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home