Sunday, November 20, 2005

Late night food and music

I get hungry around 11:30 at night pretty much every day. Doesn't matter if I had a large dinner, small dinner, or no dinner at all, it's just gonna happen. Tonight I got a tremendous craving for Taco Bell (whether it was the endless ads on tv or the fact that this is the one-week aniversary of a similar craving I had last week in Raleigh, no ones knows), and decided to go get me some tacos.
I got to Taco Bell and ordered my usual meal, only to be informed, "Um, sorry, we're out of meat. What else can I get you?" You're out of meat?! You're a Taco Bell, what else do you serve? When you run out of meat, isn't it pretty much time to close up shop and call it a night?
I drove on and found that McDonald's is now open 24 hours a day. I ordered a burger, which took about ten minutes to make, and opened the box to find that the geniuses who had assembled my sandwich had given me two top halves of a bun. Classic. Nevertheless, I was satisfied, and I returned home. On the way I turned on the radio (having accidentally left my iPod in the house), and suddenly I remembered why I never listen to the radio anymore.
Late night music on the radio is out of control. DJs must lose their minds at about 10:45. Upon leaving my driveway tonight, I was greeted by La Bamba coming from my speakers. Dance With Me followed shortly thereafter, as several stations that I usually enjoy decided to become either oldies or disco stations, or both. The stations that retained their usual genres had even more troubling trends. I heard four songs by Sugar Ray during my ride. Apparently it's against the law to play any song after 11:00 pm without remixing it first. Who Got the Hooch was played after somebody cut everything out of the song except for a drum set and the lead singer. Now THAT's what I call music! Everything, everything has a dance beat at this hour including songs that have no business having one, like Green Day's Wake Me Up When September Ends. Even songs that already have a dance beat, in this case Outkast's The Way You Move, get retooled, even if it means adding a tambourine or a cowbell where it doesn't belong.
People, we can do better. Some songs should be left alone (as in not tampered with, i.e. When September Ends) and others should be really left alone (as in never played on the radio again. I'm looking at you, Mr. McGrath).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home