Saturday, February 03, 2007

Excellent Point

I'm not big into Facebook, but I like to explore the copious number of groups out there. One such group found me the other day. It's called "Oatmeal Raisin?..." The ... is actually an expletive that I've deleted due to fear of an FCC fine. The basic point of the group is to voice the concerns of citizens who hate looking at a delicious chocolate chip cookie and biting into it only to realize that it is, in fact, an oatmeal raisin cookie. The physical resemblance between the two cookies is astounding, but the disparity of taste and texture is even more pronounced. Clearly the Divine likes to mess around with us sometimes.
For those of you not familiar with Facebook, there's a place in the group's page called the Wall where people can write their comments. One comment caught my eye and I thought I'd pass it along. Ladies and gentlemen, the future of our country:

this should be a plank issue for the republicans to run off of. "no illegal immigration, or those damned oatmeal raisin cookies either! both immigrants and raisins hide amidst the favourable majority, trying to blend in and look all nice. but then, when the truth comes out, and the immigrant/raisin is revealed, etc." cause then the liberals would be all "but i like oatmeal. it's healthy. its organic. etc."

Note the amazing punctuating and the blatant disregard of capitalization rules. But the most remarkable aspect of the post is the writer's ability to promote xenophobia while using the British spelling of "favourite." This man, who is from Winston-Salem, by the way, clearly knows how to think outside the box. I read in our campus newspaper last fall that Facebook was raising political awareness among the nation's youth; here, I believe, we find the proof. Don't you feel good about the voter/elected official of tomorrow?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh. My. Goodness. That is really funny/scary in a pathetic kind of way, I think. Okay, so I haven't found the words I'm looking for to describe my reaction - you, dear blogger, are much better at that. On a side note, that actually happened to me today and the fact that I found this post later makes me smile. At "Rising to the Challenge" I was "mingling" as per my instruction when I saw this beautiful plate of cookies. As it was about 3:00 and I had not eaten yet today, I decided to partake in one of the delectable morsels. DAGNABBIT - the crunchety goodness betrayed me! I had eaten an oatmeal cookie! BAH! - Okay, I'm clearly in a weird mood. Off to watch a movie with the gals, I think.

9:48 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

raisins, yes. This is the key to any political parties platform. Ironically, I'm a member of that group. I feel my IQ dropping as I type.

2:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home